Movie scenes shot in Iceland, locations
Have you ever wondered where they recorded the scene from the movie that you really love?
For all these cinephiles out there, here we leave a list with movies and tv series as well as their location in Iceland. We can set you up with the best Iceland rental car to visit these locations.
- The secret life of Walter Milly (2013).This movie was completely filmed in the USA and Iceland. Is starring by Ben Stiller who travel around The National Park of Vatnajökull and the village of Seyðisfjörður.
- Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)is an American movie starring by Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson, and the Icelandic actress, Anita Briem. Even though Jules Verne never came to Iceland, he was able to make a shocking story where Snæfellnes peninsula and the Snæfellsjökull Glacier/volcano is the door to the center of the earth.
- Star Wars: The force unleashed (2015) and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016).The ice planet of Hoth (that already appear on the movies of the 80’) is in this occasion the Svínafellsjökull glacier, also known as the Hollywood glacier due to the huge number of movies made in that location. And filming for Rogue One took place in Reynisfjara. Another example filmed in Hollywood glacier was Interstellar (2014) by Christopher Nolan.
- Game of Thrones seasons 3,4 and 7 (2017).The director decided to move to the south of the island to filmed scenes of “the wall”. Also, they choose this country to represent the “Seven Kingdoms” in which you can perfectly recognize the city of Akureyri, the lake of Myvatn, the Godafoss waterfall and the Grjotagja cave.
- James Bond: View to a Kill (1985).This movie was filmed at Jökulsárlón, bordering Vatnajökull National Park in south-eastern Iceland. There is a scene where James Bond (Roger Moore) is chased by a helicopter, epic landscape in the Glacier area.
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001).By the same glacier, Jökulsárlón lagoon, was filmed the sequence where Angelina Jolie is on an airplane and then going through the glacier lagoon by a boat, and not so many clothes.
- Batman Begins (2005).The scene where Christian Bale is taught by Liam Neeson was actually made on Svinafellsjokull Glacier in Vatnajokull National Park, instead of Tibet as it’s said.
- Prometheus (2012).Ridley Scott’s chose the Dettifoss waterfall, Europe’s most powerful waterfall, for the opening scene. See the surrondings here, https://youtu.be/vDOj9XEezDQ
- Thor: The dark world (2013).This country is seeming to be the perfect place for superheroes like Thor. Some scenes were made in Reykjavik and Skogafoss Waterfall.
- Captain America: Civil War (2016).The opening scene of the trailer was filmed near the town of Vik, in the southern part of Iceland.
- Justice League (2017).Northern Iceland’s Westfjords show Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) attempting to recruit Aquaman (Jason Momoa) into his world-saving super squad.
- Fast and Furious 8 (2017)One of the movie’s most prolific chase scenes was actually filmed by Lake Myvatn up in the north.
If you are planning to come to Iceland don’t hesitate about going to these fabulous locations, you will feel like taking part in your favorite movie.
Photo by Atanas Malamov